Thursday, June 27, 2013

Off Topic Friday - Organic is the word!


Hey folks, so today is another one of those blessed days where I get to just talk about anything I feel that is important whether relevant to my walk in faith or not and today I'm going to talk about my newfound love for ALL things ORGANIC!! That's right, my husband and I have jumped on the organic bandwagon. I never thought I'd see the day but it has officially arrived. It's amazing how when you start putting things in God's order for your life other areas seem to follow. We have had this strong conviction in the area of produce and what we are putting in our bodies. As a person of faith, our bodies really are a temple and they need to be treated as such. 

As I began to dive more into the reasons why we should go organic, I've come to the conclusion that not only is it safer for you and healthier but it's also a great way to support your local farmers. Times are getting tough everywhere financially and what better way to try help out those who ACTUALLY care about what we put in our bodies! These amazing organic farmers have to jump through so many extra hoops than those who use the pesky pesticides on our foods so I feel it's important to support them.

So, yesterday I picked up my very first EVER Co-Op fruit and veg box from the Organic Corner Store! It's fabulous!! Not only is this market fabulous for my awesome Co-Op box but it's also a really cool hangout place. They have so much on offer!

What is a Co-Op Box you ask?
As described by the Organic Corner Store website: "A co-op provides customers with certified organic, seasonal produce with minimal packaging. There is no mark up on the bulk order so customers are accessing reasonably priced certified organic produce. OCS order’s from a wholesaler. We divide and pack the boxes."

Checkout the amazing food I bought! (The box has some depth to it as well).



Okay, besides the beautiful organic fruit and veg we are now eating, we have also started cooking with "organic coconut oil" instead of other oils such as olive oil etc. I have to say that I'm truly loving this new experience. When roasting pumpkin I put coconut oil over it with salt and pepper and it is the most AMAZING tasting pumpkin ever! I literally do not use any other oil anymore. It's so freeing knowing that this oil is actually REALLY good for you as well. 


Besides the above changes, we are also using cacao powder when making smoothies, homemade healthy chocolate, avocado cacao mousse and many other things! I'm officially addicted to "avocado mousse" that a friend of mine put me on to. I cannot get enough! We have also changed out our peanut butters, maple syrup and honey all for ORGANIC! 

So to wrap this blog up, my husband and I are food LOVERS! We love to dine out and experience new, wonderful restaurants and taste exquisite dishes but what we've come to realise is that we can have that wonderful food experience right at home and let it be healthy for us too. I'm not saying we will stop eating out because it's also a lot of fun but I'm definitely making a HUGE effort to make amazing healthy, organic dishes at home as well.

God Bless,



Future Organic Farm Wannabe!

No comments:

Post a Comment